Plaster Casting is fun. Having made a clay replica of my binoculars I then had to build a wall around them and melt some rubber to make a mould. (Stirring melting rubber really made me want melted chocolate… even though this mixture was red and had a strong distinctive smell.)The process of making the mould all went a lot smoother and more quickly than I imagined. Happy Rachael.
I made it on Tuesday and spent the rest of that week mass producing my binoculars. Each cast of binoculars took half an hour to set. This was ideal, I’d go down to sculpture and mix the plaster to pour into the mould and then run to metal with a set block of time to continue my other project. I like having targets and deadlines, it motivates me to keep moving. Structure seems to give me a buzz… that sounds weird.
I like having my space looking semi-formal, it allows me to view the pieces more finally and see if every things working and how they compliment each other. So I got shelves put up as soon as possible to keep the binocular project moving. I can’t function in a messy space either, so its important having some order. I’m becoming a bit obsessed this semester… Structure. Multiples. Order. Timing.
So now I need to wrap up the binoculars and get this part of the project finished. We had a group crit yesterday, this is when a group of fellow art students circulate the studio and talk about each others work. It’s insightful to hear what viewers are getting from it. My feedback seemed to be pretty in line with what I’m thinking. I’m starting to become aware that there are only 5 weeks left, I’m ‘on track’ but I think that pressure wave is gonna’ hit soon.